General Overview of Fruit Flies
According to Agriculture Australia, the fruit fly poses a significant threat to our local fruit and vegetable produce. They infest homes and businesses with ripe, rotting, and decaying produce. Plus, they are attracted to fermented goods like beer, liquor, and wine.
Warmer climates are the prime season for fruit flies. However, they can remain active in the early months of autumn if the weather stays warm, and if the fruit flies have access to a constant supply of produce.
Along with being a nuisance, fruit flies pose a major health hazard, as they can contaminate food with bacteria and pathogens. Contamination often occurs when the fruit fly itself carries the bacteria. Or it creates a tiny wound in the produce which allows for the growth of bacteria.
For commercial growers and home gardeners, fruit fly management is essential to a healthy yield. Ongoing support from a licensed pest expert can give you a huge advantage in the fight against fruit flies.
Got a fruit fly problem? Contact All Bugs today for free advice and a quote to remove fruit flies for good.
Signs of Fruit Fly Damage
Discoloured patches on the skin, rotting, and discolouration are all common signs of damage from a fruit fly.
In regards to fruit, damage occurs when the fruit fly lays its eggs close to the produce. Once hatched, the larvae tunnels deep into the fruit and feeds on the contents, causing considerable damage.
As a result, the fruit starts to rot and prematurely fall apart.
How to Protect your fresh produce
- Wash your produce once you get home to remove any potential eggs or larvae
- Store all fruit and vegetables in the fridge
- Take out your garbage frequently
- Quickly clean up spills, especially sweet and fermented drinks like fruit juice, wine, and beer.
- Don’t hold onto overripe produce, throw it away
- Lay down protein baits near the foliage or trunk of a host tree. The baits contain a protein liquid mixed with a toxicant that is deadly to fruit flies. Regularly monitor and replace the baits, especially during periods of heavy rainfall
- Apply male traps in affected areas. These traps contain a cotton whick infused with a male sex attractant and insecticide. Combined, these ingredients attract the male fruit flies and kill off their population.
Time to call the Pest Experts?
The All Bugs team are experts in the management of fruit flies in residential and commercial spaces.
After inspecting your affected area, your pest controller will devise a unique treatment program for you. Once implemented, they will monitor the program and make necessary adjustments until the infestation is gone. Plus, they will put in place effective measures to keep fruit flies out for good.
Got a problem with fruit flies? Contact All Bugs today for free advice and a quote for the removal of fruit flies.