Is Pest Control Safe Around Young Children, Babies, and Toddlers?

Posted on May 4, 2020

Is Pest Control Safe Around Young Children, Babies, and Toddlers?

pest control service

As a parent or caregiver, nothing is more important than the health and wellbeing of your family. So, when the time comes to do some pest control with young children around, you want peace of mind knowing the treatment will be quick, effective, and – most important of all – safe.

The good news is, modern pest control is a lot more safe, eco-friendly, and gentle to use near people (and pets) than ever before. Of course, there are still a few precautions you should take to protect your loved ones. Here’s everything you need to know.

Understanding the risks of commercial insecticide

Commercial insecticides are pest control products available to the public for purchase in-store. They include aerosol sprays, bait stations, dusts, gels, and traps, to name a few. These products are popular as they are fairly easy to use, safe (when you follow instructions), and can kill a variety of pests.

However, when used incorrectly, using pest control near young children can pose a health and safety risk. Here are some of the most common risks associated with each product type:

  • Aerosol spray: When an excessive amount of liquid is applied to a surface, it can produce residue or ‘run-off’ that stays on the surface. Thus, increasing the risk of exposure to a young child or crawling toddler.
  • Dust: This fine powder is applied to tiny cracks, crevices, and voids in order to poison pests in hiding. While low in toxicity to humans, the synthetic pyrethroids do pose a high toxicity to fish and other aquatic organisms.[1]
  • Bait stations: Bait stations are tiny capsules that contain both an attractant and active ingredient. The attractant draws in the pest, while the active ingredient is to be consumed and then poison the pest. You must ensure the bait station is placed in a targeted area where pest activity is at its highest. Plus, make sure the bait station is securely closed, so that only pest can enter and leave

How safe is professional treatment these days?

Pest control has come a long way in the past 30 years. Before the 21st century, many pest control companies were still using organophosphate, a class of insecticide that has since been de-registered for home-use due to being highly toxic. Fortunately, those days are long gone.

Nowadays, the products used are far more safe, eco-friendly, and gentle to use near humans and pets. One such product is Cislin 25, a type of synthetic pyrethroid that has low toxicity and low persistence. This means, the product is quick to break down in the environment (without losing its effectiveness), and any airborne particles will quickly dissipate.

Another key thing: pest control methods have also improved. These days, licensed pest experts use advanced inspection tools to detect the presence of pests. With this information, they know exactly where to apply the pesticide, and they use as little as possible to achieve the desired result.

How to prepare for an upcoming treatment

  • Let your technician know if a person has allergies or illnesses and they will take the necessary measures to keep your family safe
  • Pet bowls to be turned over, fish tanks covered with a towel, all pets to be outside away from the product for 20 minutes until it dries.
  • Tidy up your home so that any products applied indoors will adhere to the surface and ensure proper protection
  • Ask any questions or request a breakdown of the process if you are unsure about anything
  • Find out if it is necessary to leave the premise during treatment and, if so, when it is safe to return

All Bugs are the experts in safe, eco-friendly, and effective pest control around young children and families. Contact us today for FREE advice and a quote.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *